Time to end the violence
This Friday, November 23 is White Ribbon Day, Australia’s national day for raising awareness of men’s violence against women, and how to prevent it within our community.
Violence against women is a complex and widespread issue. The impact of domestic violence on women and children in Australia is shocking. Statistics show:
- on average, one woman a week is murdered by her current or former partner;
- 1 in 4 women have experienced emotional abuse by a current or former partner since the age of 15;
- 1 in 5 women have experienced sexual violence since the age of 15;
- 1 in 2 women has experienced sexual harassment during her lifetime;
- 1 in 6 women have experienced stalking since the age of 15; and
- almost 40% of women continued to experience violence from their partner while temporarily separated.
Whilst these statistics give rich insights into women’s experiences and men’s behaviour as perpetrators of violence, it is important to note the above statistics are not an exhaustive list.
Equally as shocking is the fact that these statistics should be viewed as underestimates.
Many women will never share their experience of violence, not with Police and certainly not with researchers from the Australian Bureau of Statistics. Alarmingly, these statistics will always be an underestimate of the extent of the problem.
We should all support White Ribbon’s message… SAY NO TO VIOLENCE. No form of violence is acceptable in today’s society.
You can support White Ribbon Day by purchasing a white ribbon or magnetic pin, wristband or other promotional items or simply by donating at www.whiteribbon.org.au
Funds raised go towards supporting White Ribbon’s national primary prevention campaign, which aims to stop violence before it occurs, through education initiatives in schools, workplaces and the broader community.
White Ribbon is committed to building an Australian community where every woman lives in safety, free from all forms of men’s abuse.
Visit White Ribbon Australia at www.whiteribbon.org.au for more information.